Sunday, 10 June 2012

Woodchat Shrike, Great Orme

Before I recieved a text that there was a Woodchat Shrike on the Great Orme, Llandudno, my day was going to be relaxed, a little birding here and there and I wanted to check the Marine Lake for anything that may have been blown in off the sea from the previous strong winds... That all came to a hault when the text came through, I turned the car around and headed straight for the Orme. The bird was found by Pete Alderson late this morning on the limestones and luckily the bird hadn't ventured too far by the time I reached it. It looked to be a first summer female and was covering quite a big area, darting across the heather and landing upon the gorse and on the rocks.



It's a third record for the Great Orme, but my first for Wales. So far this year, Marc Hughes has recorded a Woodchat Shrike, Bee-eater, Quail, 6 White Storks, Dotterel, Little Ringed Plover and a large pipit sp. recorded up there this Spring so not too bad going for a 'quiet' spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...