Sunday, 20 November 2011

Glossy Ibis, Lesser Yellowlegs and Red Necked Grebe all within 20 miles

Anglesey must be one of the best county's for rareities in Wales. With rareties such as Black Lark, Black Stork, Green Heron and Black Browed Albatross, you never know what could turn up there.

A couple of years ago, I spent no less than 12 hours on Malltraeth Marsh attempting to hunt down a Glossy Ibis, and ever since, the species have haunted me by dipping each one within near suitable twitching distance. Anyway, I was out very early Saturday morning with a vengence and was determined to see the first winter Glossy Ibis on Malltraeth Marsh.

Although from range, within 10 minutes of arriving I was watching the bird feeding on the marsh. Such a fantastic bird and one that was quite special in flight twisting and turning as the sun broke through the early morning sky. The bird, I heard later that day came a lot closer and photographers had trouble trying to fit it in their frames. I'm not going to moan, so I was happy with this record shot :)



Next stop was Llyn Coron for Bean Geese. Unfortunately, these geese had decided to depart for the day as they were not seen although 12 White Fronted Geese were nice to see. A siberian Chiffchaff was also knocking about the bushes nearby. The next stop was Llyn Penrhyn (Valley Wetlands) for the Red Necked Grebe. This was a lifer for me as this was another bird that had eluded me, so it was good to catch up finally with this species. There is talk of the Red Necked Grebe being of the American sub species as it appears to have slightly a longer bill for one. But I think i'll leave that debate to the professionals.




The Alaw Estuary was next for a lovely american species of wader- the Lesser Yellowlegs. I had no problem tracking down this bird. Feeding casually with a handful of Redshank and a Greenshank, the Lesser Yellowlegs showed very well, unaware of passers by. Another brilliant bird to see making it a very good day indeed!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...